Monday, January 13, 2014

A life with Asthma

Its all began when my sister was 2 weeks old and a few days off my second birthday. I found myself rushed to the hospital. Suffering a serve asthma attack. Could you imagine the thoughts rolling around in the mother head!  The nurse had put me on a ventilator. Unaware, for the next 7 days I would call the hospital my home. While I was in hospital huge storms loomed around. We believed that my attack was cause, due to the build up moisture in the air. To this day mum and I laugh at that attack, because mum like calling it a jealously attack.


Everyday my mother would stay with me, because there was no nurse that would look after me. The first night came about, and my mother wasn’t allowed to stay over night because of her 2-week-old baby. So dad after a 14-hour day at work would come and stay until the morning. Mum returned with Katie (the baby). And dad would leave for work. My parents did that, for the remainder of time that I was in there. Everyday I was hooked up to that ventilator for an hour, a couple times a day.

Cause of my attacks

I have what I like to call it Emotional Asthmatic. Which means it can be triggered by fear. And common asthma, which causes my to chest tighten up when I over exhaust myself. My asthma occurs when I play sports, the moisture in the atmosphere changes and feeling insecure in a new environment.

This is how all of my attacks start. I get ready of bed and normally before I go to sleep I would have 2 puffs as insurance that I would have a peaceful sleep. But on these occasions I haven’t taken a puffer, because I purely forgot. So I lie there saying to myself, “you’ll be ok, you don’t need it”. These thoughts are consistently rolling through my head. And the fear starts setting in. Then I start freaking out a little bit more, because I’m not in my normal environment, there is dust and the list of things start pilling up. A lot of my attacks of this kind were during my teen years and I just couldn’t drive myself to the hospital. So I would have to wake one of my parents. I would spend the next 3 hours in hospital inhaling, what I like to call them high moments. It’s like walking on a treadmill for a few minutes getting a light head, while your hands where shaking and all you want to do is lay down. All up I think I have visited about 5 to 7 hospitals during my teen, I couldn’t say how many time I have been to the hospital just for my asthma.

The best way to describe what asthma is like. Its start out mild, you can still talk, having shortness of breath. In the middle of you collar bones your windpipe sit in the little cavity, you notice it’s becoming more defined and tight. You are feeling your chest tightening up, only allowing you to take small breaths. At this point when you can’t talk is a sign you should take your puffer. Or you will find yourself lying on the ground.


After having asthma for 18 years (almost all of my life); I have learnt the causes of my attacks. For so many in the world that suffer from asthma, it is one of those diseases that can take a life in a click of a finger. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American about 1 in 5 people suffers from Asthma, which is incredible amount.

What I can not live without.


I am so truly lucky everyday that I get a second chance to live a somewhat normal and healthy life even if it involves having asthma. There have been so many lessons I have learnt with being an asthmatic. Life is so short and it can be taken away in a spilt second, and I should be grateful that I don’t have to lose my hair or have needles put into me. I am so truly blest!



Are you grateful? I believe everything happens for a reason, a reason why you have that job, a reason why you were late to a friends place. Have you told God or have you told someone that you are grateful, thankful for everything that comes to you, big or small?!!!



EB xx





No comments:

Post a Comment